Crivello Carlson, S.C.
In addition to great legal counsel, our attorneys and paralegals offer grace under pressure, a sense of humor and the ability to do it all with integrity.
710 N. Plankinton Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53203
Direct Dial: 414-615-8418
Rich Orton is a Shareholder who represents individuals, businesses and insurers in federal, state and administrative forums throughout the United States. Rich concentrates his practice in the areas of products liability, general tort liability, construction litigation, professional liability, subrogation, and insurance and other commercial disputes. These claims typically involve a myriad of damages related to personal injuries, property damages, and other commercial or business losses.
Rich has represented a variety of commercial and manufacturing clients in products liability litigation, from local retailers to large multinational OEMs. He is part of the national trial counsel team for one of the world’s leading manufacturers of compact farming and construction equipment. This experience has included defending consumer, commercial and industrial products in a variety of industries, such as construction, agribusiness, heavy equipment, trucking and transportation. In addition to his litigation work, Rich also counsels companies on product liability, product safety, risk assessment, and claims management issues.
Rich regularly handles matters at all stages of their lifespan – from the prompt investigation of accidents and evidence preservation, through pre-suit negotiations, discovery, trial and appeal. Rich assists clients in developing and executing the most efficient and effective strategies in all phases of dispute resolution. He has experience handling some of the most complex claims, involving catastrophic injuries, fire and explosion accidents, and massive property damages.
Since 2017, he has served as a member of the Board of Directors of Wisconsin Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company. Rich has also served on the Board of the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Young Lawyers Division since 2014, and on various committees of the Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association since 2012.
During law school at the University of Wisconsin, Rich was a member of the Moot Court Board and Mock Trial Team. He won the Ruby R. Vale National Corporate Law Moot Court Competition's best brief award, and worked as a law clerk for the Wisconsin Governor's Office of Legal Counsel. Prior to law school he worked as a paralegal at a large multinational law firm in Washington, D.C., splitting time between the firm's corporate and securities group and the white collar and regulatory enforcement group. During his undergraduate years at Marquette, he spent his summers working in Washington D.C., once for a member of the U.S. House of Representatives and once for a national trade association for the high-tech industry. Rich also spent two terms studying law and public policy at the University of Oxford in England. Mr. Orton was born and raised in Mauston, Wisconsin.
· 2017 Super Lawyers Rising Star
· Fellow, Wisconsin Law Foundation (2017 Inductee)
· 2016 Wisconsin Law Journal “Up and Coming Lawyer Award”
Recent Trial Experience
· Secured a favorable verdict as first chair trial counsel for a construction company in a fire loss case involving allegations of negligent installation of a fireplace and chimney system after a four-day jury trial in Lincoln County, Wisconsin. (2018)
· Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a heavy equipment manufacturer as second chair in a five-week products liability jury trial in Sonoma County, California. Plaintiff sought $26 Million in damages after losing an arm and a leg as a result of a rough terrain forklift (“telehandler”) tip-over incident. (2017)
· Received a favorable verdict on behalf of a printing company in a forklift accident case in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (second chair). (2016)
· Successfully first chaired a bench trial in St. Croix County, Wisconsin, securing a favorable decision on behalf of a health insurer that resulted in the full reimbursement of the client’s subrogation claim. (2015)
· State of Wisconsin
· State of Illinois
· U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Wisconsin
· U.S. District Court - Western District of Wisconsin
· U.S. District Court - Western District of Michigan
· Multiple pro hac vice admissions in state and federal courts from New York to California
· University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2012
· Marquette University, B.A. cum laude, 2007
· University of Oxford, Lady Margaret Hall, 2006
· American Bar Association
· State Bar of Wisconsin
· Illinois State Bar Association
· Thomas E. Fairchild Inn, American Inns of Court
· Milwaukee Bar Association
· Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association
· Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association
· Defense Research Institute
· Wisconsin Defense Counsel
· Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
Community Service Activities
· United Way of Greater Milwaukee
· Brady Street Area Association, Board of Directors (2017 – present)
· Moderator, “From the Bench: Practical Tips for Litigants”, State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Meeting and Conference, June 16, 2016.
· Co-Organizer, “Common Evidentiary Issues and Pitfalls,” State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Meeting and Conference, June 15, 2017.